Sunday, July 16, 2006

Ahoy Matey!


I saw Pirates of the Caribbean 2 this afternoon en familie. Quite fun, lovely use of the myth and archetypes, action packed but story lite.
I left noticing the young people [under 25] wearing the pirate look with much gusto, military jackets, high black boots with a fold over knee high boots and bloody skulls on everything. Any minute now I expect an eye patch and a parrot on a shoulder to be the new IT accessory.
I was in Chapel Street after all.
I know it happens, I did partake in the Flashdance look in 1983 and the I myself have owned some thigh high black suede boots in 1988 as discussed in a previous post but we seem to be starved for any other inspiration at the moment. Supoerman has sunk without as much as a whimper, my Divine Scorp daughter told me that her friend heckled Superman Returns on Friday night, telling him to " cut of the bloody curl", fair call, its a lame hairstyle. But, heckled from a fashion conscious 9 year old ?
Is its a bird, is it a plane, no it's a curl!

Blessed and I discussed yesterday the value of style and its affect on your audience in life.
Blessed told me that I "never look wrong", I concurred, I do err on the classic side but happily so I will admit. I have not subscribed to Fashion since I was about 21.

So I thought about film and its affect on fashion this evening. Then I went deeper into this subject, or as deep as I can get, if film are the myths of our lives then perhaps we take on the costumes of these characters to hook into their courage to face our own internal dramas.
So what does the Pirate Archetype represent? I read that pirates represent a post conventional morality where an individual has interrogated “authority” and found himself the only true metric of his own integrity. Pirates are do not break the law, they transcend it. Cap’n Jack Sparrow himself says that a pirate ship is freedom.
Are these kids in boots trying to transcend authority? Do they gain courage from the Cap'n Jack Sparrow archetype?
I think about the new films that I know that are being made and will be released in the nest 12 months and gave thought to the Archetypes they represent. Sienna Miller is going to play Edie Sedgwick, so expect mod squad/Andy Warhol style to emerge.
Edie was the ultimate Networker Archetype, building up The Factory with New York society making it THE place to be and be seen. I look forward to seeing this new style emerge, but I think that we are not over with the swarthy swashbucklers yet as there is new installment due to be released next year. Arrrrgggghhhhh!

No comments: