Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Thanks to Blessed for the following.

The Eight Verses on Transforming the Mind

With a determination to achieve the highest aim,
For the benefit of all sentient beings,
Which surpasses even the wish-fullfilling gem,
May I hold them dear at all times.

Whenever I interact with someone,
May I view myself as the lowest amongst all,
And, from the very depths of my heart,
Respectfully hold others as superior.

In all my deeds may I probe into my mind,
And as soon as mental and emotional afflictions arise-
As the endanger myself and others-
May I strongly confront them and avert them.

When I see beings of unpleasant character
Oppressed by strong negativity and suffering,
May I hold them dear-for they are rare to find-
As if I have discovered a jewel treasure!

When others, out of jealously
Treat me wrongly with abuse, slander, and scorn,
May I take upon myself the defeat,
And offer to others the victory.

When someone whom I have helped,
Or in whom I have placed great hopes,
Mistreats me in extremely hurtful ways,
May I regard him still as my precious teacher.

In brief, may I offer benefit and joy
To all beings, both directly and indirectly,
May I quietly take upon myself
All hurts and pains of all beings

May all this remain undefiled
By the stains of the eight mundane concerns; (gain and loss, pleasure and pain, praise and blame, fame and obscurity)
And may I, recognizing all things as illusion,
Devoid of clinging, be released from bondage (suffering from attachment to negative thoughts and emotions)

No comments: