Thursday, January 18, 2007

Wanted: One heat shield


There is a reason that spacecraft need heat shields as they come back to earth, it is because of the atmospheric drag. Drag is the resistance of the atmosphere to the fact that you're trying to plow something through it. It is the drag that slows you down and turns your energy into heat. The drag gets more or less depending on the density of the atmosphere and the speed of the object flying through space.
Today I flew back to earth after a spectacular 10 days in the celestial space. The higher you get the less drag you have, so I have been flying around reaching dizzy speeds and admiring the view but inevitably you have to come back to earth. As you fly back to the blue planet you have to burn a lot of fuel to slow down your descent to earth and this takes energy. The more energy you burn the hotter you get, today I burnt the lot but forgot to strap my heat shields on.

I feel better though, reality vs euphoria.

No comments: