Saturday, September 15, 2007

Plans awry


Scorpio Sister is back in hospital unexpectedly. So my Friday night spent was sitting bedside at RMH, as she has no one in town and as a sister this is my job. This is what family is, sitting pushing doctors for answers, as she is too tired to do so herself.
You want me by your bedside when the shit goes down ppl!

I am the least intimidated person I know around doctors. I am not anti western medicine but the best doctors I know, and I know a few, are the ones who allow a measure of miracle into their work and are touched by hope.

I once lectured 100 5th year students at RCH on relating to parents with sick children, it was fascinating, you could see who was going to be the healer or the hero. The heart surgeon or go into sports medicine. One 'rockstar' Doc talked though my speech. A while into it, I stood at the lectern and waited for him, I stood there a full minute before he realised I had stopped. I asked if he was ready and his embarrassed tip of the head told of his acquiescence. I then directed the rest of the lecture to him and only him. Bless. His supervising doctor bought me lunch as he thought it was so funny.

I have seen doctors cry with frustration and joy, I have had them laugh with me and share my hope and joy for many years with my child. They are people and sometimes they are rude and careless with their responsibility but occasionally they are brilliant humans who do what they can and leave the rest up to the Universe. They know when is Enough.

Thus last night, when I questioned and cajoled, argued and fought for my sister, with my velvet tracksuit as my only armor, the registrar looked at me with such dislike that I laughed out loud in his face. I said, "You are never going to see me again, so hate me, some do, but most want me on their side for this very moment that we are now having. So do your job and look after my sister and stop treating her like she is interrupting your evening."

As he swung around in his pale blue scrubs and crocs [god I hate those shoes!] I waved and sang "Goodbye."Just like Doris Day.
He scowled but later my Sis rang to say she got everything she needed.

I am donning my tracksuit again to board my invisible plane and get back in bedside for when she comes out of surgery. Hope Doc is there, could be fun, I love a battle and with Jupiter, Neptune and Scorpio in my 4th house [home and family] nobody trifles with me when it comes to my loved ones.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go the Holy TrackSuit, really enjoyed this post!!
fishgirl
PS Healing blessings to your sister:)

Kate Forster said...

Thank you Fishgirl.
Surgery went well today. I did a massive ritual as she went under including candles, lights, magic and smoke.

So Mote It Be!

DW