Friday, July 06, 2007

Frenemy or Foe


Reading about the frenemy. You know the one who makes you feel 'less than' when you are around them?
I am mindful of the patterns we create in our relationships throughout our lifetime. I used to have frenemies around me. I dreamt of one last night actually and awoke with a bad taste in my mouth.

Lifted from Pleasures by Nikki Gemmell. If you are faced with your frenemy try saying this next time you see them:
"Whenever I am with you I never feel very good about myself. So I think we need a little distance."

I dare ya!

It's not a real relationship if they suppress kindness to stoke their own bitter fires. I am constantly surprised when people are mean or intentionally cruel. That there is not a breath of thought before they open their mouths to speak. To wonder internally whether any good will come from what they are about to say.

I try to no longer have that in my life. I can spot it a mile off down the road and run like the wind when it approaches. Occasionally I spot it worming its way back into my sphere and declare "out damn spot."

To be allowed to be yourself in a friendship is pure and simple and I have only a few that allow this. Others are what I call 'satellite friends.' They keep you close to see what you
are doing and how their life compares to yours. However, when you compare your life to another's, you give it away. it is no longer yours.

The skill is learning to see who is there in rain or hail or sunshine.
I am always wary when people speak of their friends in a way that they need to constantly help them. I know of a person who always speaks of their friends but never praises them. Never mentions things about them they admire of learn from. I took note. She feels superior to her friends. She feels superior to me. She feels superior. Mother Superior.

Final word from Mark Twain:

"Keep away from people who try to belittle you ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

If you have some of the great ones in your life then keep them close and love them profusely and return the blesssings.

Over and out!


No comments: