Saturday, July 21, 2007

Beyond Procrastination


I have recently blogged about my procrastination period. It was only broken after forcing myself to work in 5 minute blocks until I went began to get into the concentration groove again.
Punching through is sometimes the only strategy.
Staying on task is not easy for me. I tend to start all sorts of things and have had in the past, a tendency not to finish any of them.
The cure for this is not moving onto the next thing till the one you are doing is finished. Easily said I know. But try it. This week at work I insisted that we finish what we started 3 months ago. It was creating a blockage in our business. As the finishing touches were put on the project this week, things began to move. California Girl said that it was though the plug had been pulled and the blockage has been removed.

That said, an amazing day with Domonique the Wonderful yesterday that finished with a headache from over thinking but 8 pages of fresh new plans. I wrote them up today, so I will be ready to hit the ground running on Monday.

So much to do and so much fun doing it.

Life is grand.

Flutter your fan and take a bow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what's always intriguing Dreamweaver? The way that moods or thought processes seam to sweep through friendship circles. This came to mind last when I discovered about 4 gal pals are all completely renovating their fitness regimes but were just doing it quietly, simply because a little bell had gone off inside themselves.
Similarly I have been thinking about this recently with your writing on time management. Did I bore you with my rants about the evils of multi-tasking a while back? Probably not and yet you are quietly coming to the same conclusion I have and that I have lobbied some too busy friends about. The whole multi-tasking (or 'juggling' - my most disliked term)concept is a complete misnomer. You don't achieve multi of anything. You have do everything. Sure you can iron while you watch Grey's Anatomy or learn Spanish whilst making the kids' lunches but that's really where it ends. I was such a hideously proud and boastful multi tasker until someone pulled me up on something and I began to look at what I was really achieving. Since I gave up the multi-vitamin and got back to trying to complete one thing at a time or give my FULL attention to one thing I cannot say I've changed the world with my achievements but I am not achieving less. I also think I am doing things at a better standard and I know I do not feel so personally scattered. I feel kind of guilty now about some of the people, in particular, I was giving my time to but not really my full attention. Anyhoo - better get back to focussing on work. As you can see, distraction is still a tempting drug.
The Contessa

Kate Forster said...

Well said Contessa! Man, I was getting a whole lot of nothing done recently. Now I am onto the next wave of staying on task, being on purpose on purpose.
It is hard. I have list in front of me and am going to plow through it till it's finished. Wish me luck.
Back to it Contessa.

Dreamweaver

Anonymous said...

I am going to the slow food market on Saturday to attempt to get some tips on cooking whilst not doing anything else. Or at least to see if the food tastes better. I'll let you know:)
Fishgirl