Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Chop wood, carry water


Seriously, before enlightenment chop wood and carry water. after enlightenment, chop wood and carry water.
I thought about this yesterday, while I lay in an operating suite waiting for a minor procedure to get underway. As I stared at the rows of tapes and gauzes and wondered about enlightenment. Enlightenment did not stop me from under the knife. Enlightenment was not currently topping up my bank balance. Enlightenment was not going make a dinner when I got home and put the washing in the dryer. So, Enlightenment means what, exactly?
Bliss?
Understanding we are all part of the microcosm and together we are amazing?
A collection of cells in a petri dish thinking we are better than all the other cells out there in other petri dishes?

Choosing to be conscious of our experience can be tiring. Always trying to put together the signs and the 'accidents'. Trying to remember what we did last time when in hard times and trying to process it faster , so as to get through the experience better.
I mentioned recently to someone that there is a part of me that was envious of those who never questioned. Those who lived unconsciously. Accepted the news and the TV. Accepted less than they deserved and accepted living with their fears, day in and day out.
Yet, I know I would rather be as I am. Questioning. Out of line. Stirring the pot and setting my own bottom line.

Buddha says that the greatest gift we can give to others is our enlightenment. This is what I try to do with this blog. Share with my readers my small steps towards my bliss. Each step I take,
I move towards something amazing inside me. Unveiling part of myself and popping it like a house plant, into the sunshine. Shining the light on my darkest self has been enlightenment.

As I sit in my study, staring out at the glorious day. I am thankful for health, love and laughter and most of all I am thankful for the chopping wood and carrying water. The Vietmanese activist and Monk wrote that 'There is no enlightenment outside of daily life.'
He is right. He is a monk. Who am I to argue? Just lying on the table yesterday gave me time to ponder. Pondering has bought me to this post. This post has bought me to understanding this - I am always learning. I am always trying to do better wherever I can. I am flawed. I am perfect.
I am.

So are you.

Off to chop wood and carry water.

4 comments:

holymotherofgod said...

Choosing to be conscious of our experience can be tiring. Always trying to put together the signs and the 'accidents'. Trying to remember what we did last time when in hard times and trying to process it faster , so as to get through the experience better.
I mentioned recently to someone that there is a part of me that was envious of those who never questioned. Those who lived unconsciously. Accepted the news and the TV. Accepted less than they deserved and accepted living with their fears, day in and day out.
Yet, I know I would rather be as I am. Questioning. Out of line. Stirring the pot and setting my own bottom line.


I am so into questioning. I have difficulty not being out of line !! I often lament about how mcuh I stir the pot and how offensive I must be to those who enjoy being content with complacency and or ignorance. I so love reading your bog =)

Kate Forster said...

I hope you mean blog? Or did you intend bog? It can be shit at times!
LOL :)
Thanks for reading and keep on coloring outside the lines!

DW

Anonymous said...

congratulations on a wonderful season of woodchopping DW, such wonderful news last night! I even dreamt you opened a shop where you sold windchimes made of something eternal which never rusted in the rain.
xxxLou

Kate Forster said...

How perfectly perfect in every way!
I so enjoyed our time together last night, great conversations together you and I!

P.S You have Venus line running through the heart of Texas. Need I say more?